Please see below details of the “Rollercoaster Race” organised by East Down AC. We encourage as many young athletes as possible to attend bearing in mind that all full members with training places on a Monday night must compete in a minimum of 4 races between Apr 16 and Mar 17 to secure their place next year. (There’s only one McGrady XC Race left on 26th February!). You must run as a member of Newcastle AC for this race to count as one of your 4.
Every Saturday at 9.30am there is a 5K (3.1 miles) Park Run on in Kilbroney Park, Rostrevor. It is a timed run not a race. It is FREE to enter, but you must have a barcode. These are free too. Register at www.parkrun.org.uk Under 10’s must be accompanied by an adult. Please let us know if you do attend any of these events and how you get on!
Full Details available by CLICKING HERE
Register: Entries for all races will be taken on the day.
Race Date: Saturday 11 February 2016
Start Location: Downpatrick Racecourse (Horse racing) (View Google Map)
Start Time: 12noon Junior & 2.15pm Senior
- P3 Boys and Girls
- P4/5 Boys and Girls
- P6/P7 Boys and Girls
(Special shields for the Best Boys and Girls P6/7 Primary School Teams (first 4 finishers to count) over a 1,000 metres distance.§ Under 13 Boys and Girls will compete over 1.5K
- Under 15 Boys and Girls will compete over 2K
Further information: Joe Quinn – email@example.com or 07933214894
1. Club training – Tuesday 31 January is a 5km handicap. Meeting at Newcastle Centre at 6:30pm. Please sign up on the registration sheet that will be available on the night. Anyone willing to be starter/timekeeper please contact Joe McCann. Usual 5k route – Harbour Inn to Burren Meadow via Tullybrannigan.
2. Phase 3 of winter training will be posted this week.
3. Trim 10 mile road race – Sunday 5 February – Bus leaving Newcastle Tech Car Park (opposite Gospel Hall) at 8:30am. Pick up in Castlewellan at 8:40am and Hilltown at 8:50am. Race at 12noon, but numbers have to be collected. returning at approximately 4pm. Non-members welcome on the bus – cost £10
4. Monasterboice Inn has been booked for after the Bohermeen Half Marathon on Sunday 12 March. Please confirm if you are travelling on the bus by contacting Joe McCann. Some athletes prefer to travel by car with their coach and some to come home in the meat wagon!!! Non-members welcome on the bus – cost £10. Some members are doing the 10k. further details will be posted later.
5. We have purchased a set of recovery boots. ideal for those training hard and doing high mileage. These are available for members to take and use in the comfort of their own home. We will operate a booking system on a first come first served basis. the boots cost £495 and we are charging £10 for a one/two day use (until the boots pay for themselves!) – recommended use is 3×15 minute sessions – please contact Joe McCann to book a session.
6. Birthday wishes to ‘Mad Dog’ who is turning 60!
Report by East Down AC
Photos by East Down AC
Drone Footage by Graham McCauley
The fourth race of the McGrady Financial Services Junior XC Series will take place at Delamont on Sunday 22nd January 2017. Registration will be open from 12 noon and will close at 12:45pm SHARP. To take part in the Series, athletes must be members of Newcastle AC, East Down AC, Burren AC, Dromore AC or 3 Ways AC.
Anyone wishing to travel on the buses organised for Trim 10 on 5 February and Bohermeen Half on 12 March should confirm a place by emailing or texting Joe McCann – firstname.lastname@example.org \ 07860266118 – this will enable us to confirm the bus size.
Superb performances all round at the IAAF International Cross-Country race at CAFRE, Greenmount Campus, near Antrim by the boys in red and yellow saw the club retain the leadership of the Athletics NI Cross-Country League with one fixture to go. The International Cross-Country race was celebrating its 40th anniversary – the event starting in 1978 at the Mallusk Playing Fields before eventually moving to Stormont Estate and finally on to its current location a few years ago. NAC reached Christmas at the top of the table four points ahead of North Belfast Harriers with only two fixtures to go. Continue reading
Primary School XC Squad is for P6/P7 pupils who have performed well at their Flahavan’s XC rounds in Co. Down. This programme will run for 6 weeks (12th Jan – 16th Feb) on Thursdays from 5-6pm at Dunleath Playing Fields, Down Leisure Centre. The sessions will aim to challenge, provide variety, encourage continued participation, and prepare those who qualify for the Primary School XC Final in Mallusk.
Primary Schools XC Squad – Co. Down: 6 week programme
Thursday evenings; 5pm-6pm
12th January – 16th February 2017
Dunleath Playing Fields @ Down Leisure Centre
Cost: £25 (£4.17 per session)
Second Child: £20
To register, please follow the link below: