Saturday 13 May 2023
Registration Open from 12:30pm in van at start
Presentation 4.30pm: O’Hares Bar Newcastle
Entry Fee: £10 attached, £12 unattached
Minimum age: 16
No Entries on the day.
Register online before Thursday 11 May at 9pm if you wish to take part.
Online Registration and Entry – Slieve Donard Race 2023
This is a technically challenging race, good levels of fitness are required (50 min for 10k) and navigational skills, in particular if the weather is poor or turns poor quickly (as has happened in the past). There are cut off times that will be enforced in the interest of the health and safety of all competitors and marshals. Cut-off at 60 minutes to Saddle. Athletes will be escorted back to the finish by the designated marshals.
Full body cover must be carried, irrespective of the weather conditions at the beginning of the race. There will be kit checks at the start and finish of the race. Runners who fail the kit check at the finish will be disqualified.
Mourne Wall must not be crossed.
The route as 2022.
The race starts on the road in Donard Forest Park, Tullybrannigan entrance.
The route isn’t marked with free route choice in forest, navigation skills or knowledge of the course will be required, in particular on the descent. Do not cross tape at top of Quarry 371293.
Check points must be visited in order, numbers will be checked by marshals.
CP1 Saddle cairn: 351280 (Cut off at 15.00)
CP2 Summit: 357277
CP3 Quarry Gate: 371293
- Safety equipment required for the race: compass, whistle, waterproof full body cover comprising of jacket (with hood and taped seams) and trousers, hat and gloves. Click Here to view the Fell Running Association rules. Any updates to the mandatory kit will be communicated at race registration.
- Competitors not carrying the safety equipment will not be permitted to start. Non-compliance with safety equipment rules will result in disqualification from the race.
- Runners take primary responsibility for their own safety, health and wellbeing in the mountains.
- No headphones or earpieces of any description are allowed for safety reasons.
- No running/trekking poles permitted.
- Reasonable fitness levels needed – cut off times will apply at the discretion of the organisers. Runners are to comply with instructions issued by race organisers and marshals on the course. If a runner does not follow instructions this will result in disqualification from the race.
- All efforts should be made by runners to park safely, respect the environment, and leave no trace.
- All runners must report to the finish, to ensure all competitors are accounted for.
- Please bring own pins.