We are living in unprecedented times.
Further advice is also available on the Athletics NI website (https://athleticsni.org/News/Athletics-NI-News/COVID~19-Statement).
Sadly, we have had to take the decision to postpone the Hill & Dale Series and the Slieve Donard Race. All current registrations will be saved and we would still hope to reschedule some or all of the races once the situation allows.
In particular, the Donard Race has taken place every year since 1946 and we will do all we can to see a 2020 version before the end 2020!
Best wishes to everyone from Newcastle & District Athletic Club – stay healthy, respect the distance, continue to be vigilant with hand washing, cough and sneeze into your elbow (or better still an old-fashioned handkerchief) & help save a life…
Date: Saturday 16 May 2020
Entries Open from: 12:30pm, Newcastle Centre
Grid Reference: 377308
Entry Fee: £10
Minimum age: 16
No Entries on the day. Register online before Thursday 14th May at 9pm if you wish to take part.
This year, the Slieve Donard Race will NOT be part of the Hill & Dale Series, and will use different Race Numbers.
- Safety equipment required for the race: compass, whistle, full body cover comprising of waterproof jacket with hood and trousers, hat and gloves.
Click Here to view the Fell Running Association rules.
- Competitors not carrying the safety equipment will not be permitted to start. Non-compliance with safety equipment rules will result in disqualification from the race.
- NO headphones or ear pieces of any description are allowed for safety reasons.
- All runners must report to the finish.
- Reasonable fitness levels needed – cut off times will apply at the discretion of the organisers.
- All efforts should be made by runners to car share, and park safely.
The route is the same as 2019.
The race starts on Newcastle Main Street, turning into Donard Car Park at the entrance next to O’Hares Bar.
The route isn’t marked, navigation skills or knowledge of the course will be required, in particular on the descent.
The following points must be visited in order, numbers will be checked by marshals at the following points.
- CP1 Saddle: 351280 (Cut off at 15.30)
- CP2 Summit: 357277 (Barcode recorded)
- CP3 Quarry Gate: 371293
- CP4 1st Bridge: 373300
- There is free route choice between all the check points, with the exception of CP4 – 1st Bridge and Finish. The route will be marked from the 1st Bridge, following the tarmac road before entering the top gate of the wooden area above the playing fields, the finish on the football fields near the Pavilion.
- There is free route choice between CP3 – Quarry Gate and CP4 – 1st Bridge but for those not familiar with the forest there will be directions from the Quarry Gate to the river following the main forest paths, the river can then be followed to CP4 – 1st Bridge.
- Note that there may be quicker routes, which can vary each year.
- Finish: 374307 Playing Field in front of Pavilion
Strava Route: Click the button below to view the route.Slieve Donard Strava Route
Barcodes will be recorded at the summit and finish, this applies to all competitors and is not optional, in particular at the summit. Scanning is required for safety reasons as well as working out times.
Numbers must be on display and made easy for the marshals to scan, anyone not complying will be disqualified. Any one not completing the course must report to the finish, to ensure all competitors are accounted for.
Presentation will take in The Avoca Hotel at 5pm.